Dutch Apple CakeServes 50 (Uploaded : 07/02/10. First cooked : 03/02/10, Recipe Rating 4/5)
1K caster sugar
1K soft margarine or butter
1K self raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
10 eating apples (or pear and ginger, or plum)
3 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbsp demerara sugar
1. Grease (or foil) two baking trays
2. Cream together sugar and margarine (with electric whisk, which you need to bring with you) until light and fluffy
3. Beat eggs and add to the creamed mixture a little at a time
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Fold into the creamed mixture, a spoonful at a time.
5. Spread the mixture into the two tins.
6. Core and thinly slice the apples. Lay on top of the mixture. Sprinkle the cinnamon and demerara sugar on top.
7. Bank in pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (180C) for around 20 minutes. (At the first cooking, it took 30 minutes to cook. After about 20 minutes, we put a loose layer of foil over the top to stop burning. Because the timing is difficult to gauge, it is a good idea to check every 5-10 minutes or so, and you may want to rotate the cakes between the top and bottom shelves.)
Recipe courtesy of Mrs Crisford, Food Technology Department, Cox Green School.